Any business selling retail products in any industry, needs packaging that meets all packaging goals.
These goals surround around creating an impression on customers with packaging design to having a positive influence on buying behavior.
The structural and graphic design of your retail product packaging boxes guides the way customers will interact with your products and brand.
This takes us to the importance of finding a fantastic packaging designer that understands your needs, and custom designs your packaging boxes.
This blog article will share practical tips so you can find packaging designers that can design outstanding custom packaging for you.
Assess Professionalism of the Potential Packaging Designer
If you know little about the packaging industry, you may find it a bit hard to hire a good designer.
The ideal way to start is to focus on things that make the process easy. You need to come to the realization that in order to get desired results, the graphic designer should have qualities such as:
- Easy to work with
- Has an aptitude of creatively finding solutions to design problems
- Demonstrate that they are committed and continuously try to align themselves with your product packaging goals
Concisely Define Your Goals & Expectations
The packaging designer should get a clear idea of what you want. You need to provide them with ample background information to avoid confusion.
Your creative brief should include things like:
- Detail about your business brand and the products you want the packaging designed for.
- What long term and short term goals you want to fulfil through the packaging design. Be it the structural design or graphic design.
- The specific design skill set you expect the potential supplier to have.
- What obstacles are you facing in terms of the packaging design – if any?
All this helps the packaging company to know whether they are a right fit for you.
Jot Down the Exact Skills You’re Looking For
A basic understanding of packaging design will help you better understand if a custom box designer is the right fit.
For a basic understanding, you should gather some knowledge about:
- Which design software is best for designing graphics for your packaging boxes?
- What types of advanced machinery is being used in the packaging world for designing packaging graphics, styles, and shapes?
- Keep some pictures of your competitor’s packaging design. This way you can show and ask the packaging suppliers to provide a critique on what they think about your competitor’s box design.
By doing a little homework, you can qualify designers on a technical basis.
Relying Solely on Portfolio is not Enough
A portfolio is a mere representation of what the designer has created recently. While on your hunt to find fantastic packaging designers, you should be interested in knowing how and why they designed a specific packaging in a certain way.
You can ask them questions like:
- What inspired them while designing those particular packaging boxes?
- How did they manage to keep things in line with what a specific client from the past wanted?
This gives you a better understanding on the creativity of a custom box designing company.
Assign a Trial Project to See if It’s a Right Fit
You do not want to go all-in with a packaging supplier unless you have tested their expertise to a satisfactory extent.
So, to be on the safe side, consider a small sample project and ask the packaging designers for a 3D Mock-up.
The task can be as simple as a design sample of your imaginative logo, or a touch up on graphic arts for custom boxes.
Interview the Packaging Designer on Video Call
A short live video call is much more interactive than having to speak on call with a potential packaging supplier. By seeing their face expressions and observing body language, you can get a lot of idea.
For doing this, you can use a free video service like Skype or its other alternatives.
This opens up more room for a warm communication and you can get to know the potential packaging company better.
However, this method is not mandatory, and is only a side option if you’re comfortable considering it. The video interview method is better if you’re unable to visit the packaging designer’s office in person.
Properly Explain Your Target Customers & Brand Goals
While you want to find a fantastic packaging designer for product boxes, keep one thing in mind.
Your designer may not know as much about your brand and its packaging vision as much as you do.
Even if the supplier has already been designing packaging boxes in your industry – you should still communicate things like:
- Your target audience
- The tone and mood of your brand
- How your brand and its products relate to consumers
Without a firm understanding of your business and product for which boxes need to be designed – it’s hard for the designers to design the perfect packaging.
How Relevant is the Potential Designers’ Experience?
The packaging graphic designers you have on your radar should demonstrate relevant expertise.
Their past experience in your industry is a plus point and helps you funnel down the exact match. Packaging designers with relevant experience makes it easy for you and them to communicate.
This way, you’re most likely to get the desired box design in less time and effort.
Also, the designer will already know much about how to effectively impress and engage your ideal customers.
Concluding the Discussion on Useful Tips
The above described tips and suggestions will help you find a fantastic packaging designer for custom boxes. The quest for finding your dream team of designers ends only when you find the perfect match. At Alpha Custom Boxes, our designing experts offer vast experience in designing custom packaging for almost every industry. We have in-house teams of expert graphic designers and structural designers who know their art. With more than 95% customer satisfaction rate, we offer you seamless design and consultation services.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you offer graphic design services? Yes we cater to all kinds of packaging design services.
- Can I provide you my own artwork for the design of custom boxes? Yes, you can send the design to us via email. We will also review it and share our complete feedback.
Looking for expert help to design your packaging? Call us today or request a consultation by sending us an email.